The best budget portable AC conditioner is compact and has wheels. For this reason, it can easily be moved from one room to another. It is great for living rooms, dorm rooms, apartments, garages, bedrooms, offices, etc. Although it is within an affordable range, this unit is equipped with lots of great features that help make it multifunctional.
It can be used as a humidifier, air conditioner, and fan, among others. It is also very easy to use, given that it normally comes with a remote control. Well, to get it without breaking a sweat, check out the following reviews.
- List of The Best Budget Portable Air Conditioner in 2020
- 01. Black + Decker 7,500 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
- 02. Global Air 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Cooling/Fan
- 03. Black + Decker 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (BPACT14WT)
- 04. KUPPET 10000BTU Portable Air Conditioner
- 05. Black + Decker 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (BPACT12HWT)
- 06. MIDEA 3-in-1 5,800 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (MAP10S1CWT)
- 07. Mikikin Personal Portable Air Conditioner Fan
- 08. KUUOTE Portable Air Conditioner Fan
- 09. Whynter 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (ARC-122DS)
- 10. NTMY Portable Air Conditioner Fan
- Buying Guide: The Best Budget Portable Air Conditioner
List of The Best Budget Portable Air Conditioner in 2020
01. Black + Decker 7,500 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Black + Decker 7,000 BTU AC will keep you toasty and warm in the winter and comfortable and cool during the summer. It is an innovative unit that you will find very handy throughout the year. It is equipped with an adjustable fan speed that heats the air up to 81 degrees Fahrenheit and cools it up to 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
It offers fast and steady cooling and heating up to 350 square feet. That being said, this portable AC is suitable for apartments, dorms, garages, living rooms, bedrooms, offices, campers, and cabins, among others.
The unit is also very easy to install as all you need to do is attach the included hose. The hose measures 4’11”; hence, we can say it is long enough for convenience. A window adapter is also included and all you need to do is plug it into an outlet and then start using the AC.
- Looks great and cools the room fast
- You do not need to empty the water often
- The unit is not so noisy
- The blue display light is very bright; hence, can be bothersome, especially at night
02. Global Air 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Cooling/Fan
With an amazing cooling capacity of 10,000 BTU, the Global Air AC can cool down a room up to 400 square feet. It does its job fast to create a comfortable environment you will be very happy to be in. What’s more, this air conditioner is very easy to operate. And this is because it has digital controls that offer accurate temperature adjustments.
Also, there is a remote control that lets you operate this unit from across the room. Another outstanding feature is a self-evaporative system that eliminates the need for a water tank. In the self-evaporative system, the condensing water is recycled through the cooling condenser to improve efficiency.
For proper use and care, make sure the AC is vented to the outside. A window installation kit is included to help you achieve that. Detailed installation instructions are also included in the owner’s manual to make installation a cakewalk.
- Perfect for someone that likes to sleep cold
- The unit is very well built
- Easy to set up and use
- The noise level does not seem to change regardless of the fan speed you select
03. Black + Decker 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (BPACT14WT)
Black + Decker BPACT14WT is quiet yet very powerful. It has a cooling capacity of 14,000 BTU, and this enables it to cool a 350 sq. ft. room very fast. Needless to say, this air conditioner makes an excellent addition to bedrooms, offices, campers, cabins, apartments, dorms, and living rooms.
Despite being powerful, Black + Decker BPACT14WT is compact. It measures just 17.1 by 13.8 by 28.1 inches. This means it can easily fit in tight spaces. What’s more, the unit features an adjustable fan speed that cools the air to 65 degrees Fahrenheit in the coolest setting.
You can also activate the sleep mode to make this AC ultra quiet. In a nutshell, the sleep mode comes in handy for when you are asleep or need to take a rest during the day. Wheels make this AC unit very easy to roll to the room where you need it.
- Great for those trying to save space
- The remote works as promised
- AC has strong fans that ensure fast cooling
- It seems well made
- It is pretty loud
04. KUPPET 10000BTU Portable Air Conditioner
KUPPET Portable AC is a 3-in-1 multifunctional unit. It works as an air conditioner, a dehumidifier, and a fan cooler. As if that’s not enough, this AC unit boasts a decent cooling capacity of 10,000 BTU. Well, this enables it to cool a room up to 250 square feet.
It goes without saying this unit is ideal for an apartment, office, living room, etc. It cools spaces quickly plus it does not make a lot of noise when working. To be more precise, the AC puts out less than 55dB of sound.
This is low enough to let you sleep peacefully or go about your business undisturbed. The AC comes with a remote control that allows you to operate it from across the room. It also has castor wheels to let you move it from room to room with ease.
- Compact and very easy to carry around
- The noise level is extremely low
- The hose is a decent length
- Small yet works efficiently
- The sleep mode and off/on timer save energy
- Draining water from the unit is a bit tricky
05. Black + Decker 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (BPACT12HWT)
Black + Decker BPACT12HWT is a 4-in-1 unit that will meet all your needs. It has 4 energy-efficient modes, including Dehumidify, Heat, Fan, and Cool. In short, when you have this unit, your home cooling, ventilation, and heating needs will easily be met. The unit also has Max, Air Swing, and Sleep functions to control airflow.
Best of all, this AC is versatile yet compact enough to easily fit in tight spaces. It measures just 17.1 by 13.8 by 28.1 inches. The cooling capacity is 12,000 BTU, and this enables Black + Decker BPACT12HWT to effectively cool rooms up to 250 square feet.
It is the perfect heater & AC unit for apartments, living rooms, dorms, garages, cabins, bedrooms, offices, and campers. Given that it is compact, the air conditioner is suitable for spaces, which cannot support traditional window-mounted air conditioners.
- It is worth every penny
- Setup is quick and easy
- The unit feels high quality
- It is shipped very fast
- The vent attachment could be designed in such a way that it fits many different windows effortlessly
06. MIDEA 3-in-1 5,800 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (MAP10S1CWT)
MIDEA MAP10S1CWT delivers effective and fast cooling for spaces up to 200 square feet. At the same time, the air conditioner provides dehumidification and fan functions. It is a great addition to homes, offices, bedrooms, and cabins, among others. It creates a comfortable and relaxing environment that you will highly appreciate.
What’s more, this AC unit is Wi-Fi enabled plus it can be paired with Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. As such, it can respond to voice commands and allow you to operate it via an app, which you should install on your smartphone. The ease of operating this unit is further made simpler by an easy-to-read LED display.
There is also a compact remote control that comes with batteries. Additionally, MIDEA MAP10S1CWT comes equipped with a 24-hour adjustable timer that can cool your room to a temperature of between 62 degrees Fahrenheit and 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The price is fantastic
- Works great in smaller bedrooms
- The noise level is acceptable
- Both the app and remote are extremely easy to use
- Has to be drained so it can keep working efficiently
07. Mikikin Personal Portable Air Conditioner Fan
Although Mikikin Personal AC Fan is on the smaller side, it does a lot. It is a 3-in-1 unit that can be used as a humidifier, USB desk fan, and mini air cooler. It is very easy to use as all you need to do is add water and ice into the tank and start enjoying cool, fresh air.
Because of its unrivaled versatility, the Mikikin Personal Air Conditioner is suitable for year-round use. The ultra-lightweight and compact size allows you to easily carry this budget-friendly portable air conditioner. With that said, expect to use this unit anywhere, anytime.
The 3 adjustable wind speeds are medium, high, and low. There is also a wind direction function to further improve the performance of this unit. The unit does not consume a lot of energy, meaning your electric bill will not skyrocket.
- Seems to be more powerful than a regular fan
- The battery life is impressive
- Comes with a little squeeze bottle for easy filling with water
- Perfect for camping trips
- Simple to use and directs cold air exactly where it is needed
- Cannot cool the entire room
08. KUUOTE Portable Air Conditioner Fan
KUUOTE AC Fan can also be used as a mist humidifier, portable evaporative air cooler, and air circulator. It is super versatile and will no doubt meet all your needs. It moisturizes the skin by making sure dry air does not get to you. Moreover, this air conditioner unit comes with a high-performance water tank.
Well, add some ice and water to the tank to get fresher and more cooling wind. It is crucial to note that the fan is for personal use only – it cannot cool down the entire room. The dimensions of this unit are 5.7 inches long by 3.9 inches wide by 9.5 inches high.
It is so small you will not have a single problem carry it from room to room. It is ideal for a dorm room, kitchen, office, bedroom, tabletop, and desktop. Besides, this unit consumes very low power just like a light bulb.
- Despite the small size, the unit packs a serious punch of cold air
- Does not make a lot of noise when working
- Lets you know when it runs out of water
- The plastic used is pretty cheap
09. Whynter 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (ARC-122DS)
The 3 operational modes of Whynter ARC-122DS allow you to use it as a dehumidifier, fan, and air conditioner. In other words, these 3 operational modes greatly improve the performance of this unit. The unit is powerful and can cool a space of up to 400 square feet.
You should, however, note that ambient temperature and humidity may influence the optimum performance of this unit. What’s more, Whynter ARC-122DS comes with a lot of accessories. These include remote control, a washable pre-filter, an activated carbon air filter, and a manual, which arrives packaged inside the exhaust hose.
The noise level of this unit is less than 52dBA. This shows how quiet the unit is. A full installation set comes with this unit to let you set it up in no time. The set includes a window kit, an intake hose, and an extendable exhaust.
- The AC unit is surprisingly quiet
- It is worth the price
- The included hoses are good
- The remote control shows the mode on the screen
- You will have to connect a drain hose to the AC if you live in a humid area
10. NTMY Portable Air Conditioner Fan
Apart from working as a personal air cooler, the NTMY Air Conditioner Fan can be used as an air humidifier. It is a small yet super powerful evaporative air cooler that you will find useful throughout the year. For instance, during summer, you can use it for cooling, while during winter and autumn, you can use it to keep dry air at bay.
When the tank of this unit is filled to the brim, it can spray continuously for 2-1/2 – 12 hours, depending on the speed. What’s more, this portable air conditioner features 3 wind speeds, which include low, medium, and high.
It also has 3 settings automatic timer, which are 1 hour, 2 hours, and 3 hours. Well, the automatic timer and adjustable wind speeds make it easy to choose the perfect setting for your leisure time, working time, or sleeping.
- The fan looks very pretty
- Strong and looks like it can stand the test of time
- Can be tilted up or down
- Has a place to put a diffuser or perfume
- The price is a bit on the higher side
Buying Guide: The Best Budget Portable Air Conditioner
You also need to read the following factors.
The first thing you should check in a portable AC is whether it is portable. Well, a portable air conditioner is compact and lightweight. It is, therefore, easy to carry from one place to another. Also, a portable unit comes equipped with a rechargeable battery that allows you to use it on the go.
Make sure the portability of your unit does not come at the expense of performance. With that said, check how fast it takes to cool a room. Also, check its cooling capacity because this determines the area a unit can easily cool.
Ease of Operation
If possible, you should go for a budget portable AC unit that is compatible with Amazon Alexa and/or Google Assistant. The unit you have chosen should also be Wi-Fi-enabled plus it should come with remote control. All these ensure insanely easy operation.
Durability should not be sacrificed for portability as the two can co-exist. Furthermore, when you buy an AC unit, you plan to use it for at least 2 years before thinking of looking for a new one. For this reason, try to go for a well-made unit that will stand the rigors of everyday use.
Portable air conditioners are very handy in the sense that you can use them anywhere you want. You can carry and use them in your office or move them easily from the living room to the bedroom. They are really great, but that does not mean you spend big on one.